Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Shearing of Sheep Product

This post is a tutorial on how to change a turtleneck sweater to a regular crew neck or boatneck neckline. Or a scoop neck. Anything but a turtleneck. They make me feel like I'm being choked.
 This is another goodwill steal...
 The stripes were just too good to pass up, and since it had been a maternity sweater, it probably was worn once or twice and chucked. Into my welcoming hands. I may take in the sides someday but for now, I like the fit as is.
 To get rid of the turtleneck, chop it off. Fiskars would be proud of that product placement...
 All chopped and looking better already.
 Since mine already was the shape and depth of scoop that I wanted, I ran over the edges with a zigzag stitch so nothing would fray. Then I pinned it under about an inch or so all around, and hand stitched the folded piece down. I didn't trust myself to do this super light and stretchy knit with the machine...I'm not familiar enough with it and this fabric. It also has a habit of not doing the stitch I have selected and going in reverse when I have it set to go forward. I used a backstitch. If you want a different shape for a neckline, trim to the shape you would like, remembering to keep some fabric for a seam allowance. Then zigzag, pin, and stitch.
 All tied off and tried on, no choking at all.
 Ah, so nice to have the sweater with the lovely gray and cream stripes and the versatility of a modest scoop.

Now that the sheep has been shorn, I am really enjoying my sweater

No comments:

Post a Comment