Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

How to Set a Grommet in Clothing

Grommets are actually called eyelets when they are so small, which is confusing for me because I think of eyelet as a fabric, not a metal ring to make a fancy, reinforced hole. But they sure do make the finished product a whole lot nicer.
 To set you eyelet or grommet, you can buy a kit from a fabric store. Some grommets will be a bit different depending on the material and size, but this tutorial is for a small metal one. I was using a very thin knit for my outer layer, so I wanted to reinforce the hole, causing less stress on the thin fabric and also ensuring a nice, tight fit so the fabric wouldn't slip. I sewed up a handy little square for then inside of the garment, then marked the size of the eyelet. You can press, causing an indentation, or trace the size of the eyelet. If you are worried about the fabric fraying after you poke the hole, stitch around the hole before cutting. Alternatively, apply fray check after cutting. I used fray check.
 Here is my hole in my reinforcing fabric. I didn't fuse it to the actual garment, though you could.the eyelet has a deep and shallow center.
 Put the deep eyelet through your fabric(s) from the right side to the wrong side. The prongs should be on the wrong side.
My kit called this an anvil. Place it on a firm surface, protect it if you don't want dents.
 Place the eyelet into the indent on the anvil, again with the right side of the fabric down.
 Place the shallow eyelet half over the other, with the shallow center towards the fabric. The other eyelet half should be visible in the center (depending on your eyelet).
 Place the setting tool onto the eyelet and bang away. Gently. No craters to China, its just fabric. With a bit of metal.
 When you've set the eyelet, the prongs from the front will have bent onto the back half.
 Now you're ready to string a rope through! Perfect for a nautical adventure.
Did you know the word "tidy" come from the tides? Well-arranged and methodical... ~ http://www.redskyatnight.com/directory.cfm?FPID=7

No comments:

Post a Comment