Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Crock Pot Roast

Supper is an adventure most nights. Exploring new recipe variations, new levels of patience...early in the day I had put a roast going in the crock pot. Get a 2-3 pound roast (mine was frozen), put it in the crock pot on high with a 1.5c water, about 2tsp salt sprinkled all over, 1-2tsp garlic powder, 1tsp pepper, 1tsp Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute (or other all-purpose seasoning blend). It takes about 6 hours for it to be tender and fall-apart juicy, so plan ahead. I also like my roasts flavorful, so if you have longer, do 8 to 10 hours on low. Or add more seasonings. Your choice.

You know that lovely picture circulating on pinterest? Of the potatoes in chicken broth, lovely crisp on the outside yet so soft on the inside? Here's a peek at my attempt.
 Yeah...I did a great job on the "soft on the inside part" but not so much on any lovely crispiness. See how they fall apart? I decided that the flavor was probably still great, so I added 2tbsp of butter and fried up the outsides a bit.
  Then I discovered my friend broccoli was a little low, how was I supposed to feed 3 people on this?
 But I remembered the chicken broth I was cooking the potatoes in...and cooked green beans in that as I steamed the broccoli on top.
 peek at the meat, shredded juicy tender savory goodness....
 Potatoes gaining a bit of a crispy shell but still a colossal failure as far as presentation goes.
 And the whole supper, plated. Yum!
 veggies taste so good with salt and pepper and a dab of butter..
 As soon as I was ready to eat, cue the wails from munchtwo. Ah...cutie. She spent the whole meal trying to grab the plate.
I think the key to the meal was actually the meat, and the juices from roasting it. I drizzled some over the potatoes and my taste buds still rejoice over the memory, hours later. Don't think you'll like it? Try them! Try them and you may, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment